User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roadside repairs?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User 1BadMerk's Avatar

Thanks

Roadside repairs?

I was thinking about some of the things I have fixed on the side of the road or in parking lots! I've done many timing belts,head gasket, hoses,camshaft, & ye old intank fuel pump! That 1 I got smart about and yanked the seat, traced the wires and cut a hole in the floor. then made a plate to accept the wiring and placed it over the hole! Turned a pain in the ass job into a 15 min fix! Anybody do the nasty work where the dead lay?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Roadside repairs?

Every day mate come rain or shine.

Lee
    Well all most 6 on 3 off feels like every day.

Drive by Flasher Decade Plus User Sharon's Avatar

Thanks

I had a blow out coming back from Middlesex last year Clint got out and changed the tyre Ive never seen anyone change a tyre that quick

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User

Thanks

That half the fun of owning a Ford aint it?

The overflow pipe on my S1 broke and everytime I accelerated hard petrol pissed out. Fixed in a layby.. Burnt the wiring loom out racing & detonated a piston on another occation.. Cooked it a few times too!

I lost the lights on the RS2000 once and had to try and replace the fuse etc in the pitch black! Side of the road job... Bonnet keeps popping, exhaust comes off the hangers at the rear & Cibies went on Tuesday night!! I'm forever fixing it!

World Champion Decade Plus User 2quick4u's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

The first day I had my MK1 RS2000 on the road after a lengthy restoration was a Sunday so we headed straight for AVO National day (none of this wussy testing nonsense for us),
    I got 2 miles when my water pump sprung a leak so I went to the nearest Halfords and started to remove the pump in the car park, meanwhile Mr Hoarder went in to Halfords, got a Cortina water pump off of the shelf which is slightly different (extra bracket),
    he then borrowed a hacksaw from the tools department and positioned the pump in a cycle assembly clamp, and proceeded to remove the offending bracket right there in the shop, when finished I went in and paid for the, while Mr Hoarder put the borrowed tools back on the shelf for sale, we fitted it in about 10 minutes and away we went at 100mph plus all the way to Stanford Hall.

Roland Rat Decade Plus User

Thanks

did a clutch on my astra at the side of the a12, changed the cambelt on my audio 80 in a pub carpark (took all day though wonder why!). And changed the driveshaft and inner and outer cv joints at the side of the a303. Plus various plug, bodged wiring etc jobs. Had to make up some rad seal with flour and an egg once as well. I have joined the rac now!

World Champion Decade Plus User 2quick4u's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

I once had a £40 Opel Kadett estate to run round in while my car was off the road when I was about 18,
    It sprung a leak in the rad so I used eggs to seal it as well, then after about a dozen (over the course of a week) it was still leaking, so someone suggested crumbling shredded wheat in as that would plug up the holes, I did this for a few days, it was becoming a ritual every trip to work included a stop to put eggs and wheat in the radiator and top it back up,
    in the end it was starting to look more like a full English breakfast than an engine bay so I bought a new radiator.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User 1BadMerk's Avatar

Thanks

I bet that smelled nice!

Thanks

laugh and i bet it didn't work and you had to SHELL out (sorry for the pun)

Thanks

I had a thottle cable on a renault five snap. I was in the malvern hills with no mobile and no tools, I managed to remove (read as rip) the speaker cable from one side of the car and made a hand thottle which I operated out the window. Got me home anyway

lee

Roland Rat Decade Plus User

Thanks

i had that on me old capri, turned the tickover up and used the choke. Got home from central london to kent.

+ Reply to Thread