User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check ya wheelstuds/nuts!!!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Check ya wheelstuds/nuts!!!

Driving the Series 1 back from picking it up yesteday morning it started knocking slightly when I reached the next town, so drove it slowish to a car show I was doing & discussed with the lad who I got it from about it & he said that it should be ok, nothing to worry about, just slight engine movement.

However when coming from Maccys to go to a cruise the knocking got louder, following another modded car that decided to overtake a standard car just before the exit to the carriageway taking you towards the cruise destination & then cutting right back onto the sliproad at the last minute, but I couldn't turn off there as I was level with the standard car at the sliproad so carried on further up the road to turn around & all I can say is I'm glad I did!!

Coming upto the next set of traffic lights the knocking got louder, followed by a crack & several thumps, limped it around the corner, pulled up & got out & found that my nsf wheel had come loose!!
    Taking off the centre cap revealed that the car was missing 2 wheel studs & one of the others must have been loose as it had come undone, leaving the wheel held on by one nut...until it sheered off!

Me missing that junction has probably saved my life cos if it had happened on the carriageway I probably would've lost it & stuffed it into the central reservation!

Managed to sheer one of the wheel studs off in the hub, scored all of the brake disc on the near side, where the wheel had dropped the disc has scored all the inside of the Cossie rim & it took a few large chunks out of the tyre!

So if you go to look at a car, make sure the wheel nuts/studs are done up tight, I was lucky, someone else might not be so fortunate

Pit Crew Decade Plus User 1BadMerk's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Check ya wheelstuds/nuts!!!

Can't tell ya how many times I've seen this happen! Got new tires once and got half way home and the damm lugnuts started to come loose! Ya got to understand that I drive like a freak'n nut! So I was not very happy when I got out and had to tighten everything back up.
    Also when I use to work on scoobys we would have problems with the old GL's and using torque sticks to tighten up the lug nuts. They always seamed to want to backoff! Kinda hard to explain to a customer!
    A m8 of mine bought some slots for a charger that he's got and the damn things kept spitting the lugnuts off, even when put on with a impact! I ended up going over and putting em' on by hand! He's had no problems since.....just wait till his lil' scrawny ass gets a flat! He'll never get em' off again!

+ Reply to Thread