Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Consumer Rights

I brought a TV & Video for Ethan at xmas, when he opened it and plugged it in it was dead so I returned it Sainsbury?s who only had one left that had been opened, we took that as he wanted his telly.

It recently went wrong again so I took it back to Sainsbury?s only to be told it was out of the 28 days they give you to return faulty items and I had to now go back to the manufacturer under their warranty.
    I returned home and said to Sharon I WILL take it back to the shop (I was a bit pissed off) .

I looked up the 1979 sale of goods act which states any manufacturer warranty or guarentee did not affect my statutory rights.
    I phoned the head office of Sainsbury's and they said the same as the shop, I asked them if anyone there knew anything about the sale of goods act, I was put on hold while they asked a manager and they come back and said no sorry there?s no one here who does . I told them they had better go and look it up .
    I then rang my local store manager who said I had to return it to the manufacturer but he would give me a £10 voucher for my hassle, I said I wasn?t after vouchers I merely wanted to exercise my statutory rights and suggested he took my number and went and looked up the 1979 sale of goods act before I sue them, he said he would phone his legal department immediately and get back to me .

As you can imagine I am a bit pissed of about how I was handled you know customer always right lol .

I got two calls back within the half hour to say sorry I was absolutely right and that they would amend their returns policy on electrical goods .

I asked the manager if I could change the TV for a Phillips one his reply stunned me " I am sorry sir we wont have any left, all our electrical goods are items we get cheap from the manufacturers as they are discontinued items!" I said bloody hell it gets better and asked why he didn?t inform the customer of this before they brought them .

Anyway an interesting point came out of this:

Did you know also that you can return a faulty product up to 6 YEARS after purchase to the trader I had purchased it from.

I have had this explained to me as this:

If you buy a fridge you wouldn?t expect it to only last a year, so by law if it fails through a fault other then wear and tear so a faulty pump say, I have recourse to get the trader to fix it free of charge up to 6 years after the purchase date.

This does make a mockery of paying Curry?s the extra insurance they ask you if you want every time you buy something doesn?t it (not that I ever do )

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Consumer Rights

Hmmmmn,I bought a DVD player a year gone December from Tesco and it packed up December gone,bloody thing,dug out the receipt and i'd had it 1 year 1 week,took it back and they wouldn't entertain me as it was only guaranteed for a year,you saying i can ask them to repair it free of charge ??? Excuse me if i've read ya post wrong,it will be the Stella cheeRS Vince

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User Hugh's Avatar

Thanks

Very interesting! Glad you got it sorted.

Which law is it that states the 6 year rule? I'd like to use that!

Sainburys mobile were too. I signed up for 2 mobiles and changed my mind. I returned them withing the 14 day cooling off period and cancelled my direct debits. They sent me bills for the following three months, and on every occasion (after ages on hold) they promised that it would all be sorted. A right bunch of monkeys.

I now shop at Tesco.

World Champion Decade Plus User andy's Avatar

Thanks

if you are gonna buy electrical goods from a large supermarket, buy from asda, every piece of eletrical equipment is guaranteed no questions asked for three years, if it through fault of the equipment.

And if you buy clothes from george at asda (which in my opinion is very good value for the high quality of the merchandise) you dont even need a receipt if you want to return it, my girlfriend put a drag in a top she had by catching it on wooden handrail and she got a new top no questions, they'll even give you petrol money for your hassle if you ask, and they sometimes give kids 1 pound vouchers so they can get a sweet or something if they are crying or if they fell or something like that, very good if you ask me, and all products very reasonably priced aswell

check me out.....rep for asda.......thats asda price....chink' chink'

Bodger

Thanks

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Yea totally agree with the george point, their clothing is brilliant, the phrase 'cheap as chips' springs to mind.

+ Reply to Thread