User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sending People to Prison

Thanks

Question Sending People to Prison

Is it me, or is prison only supposed to be to remove dangerous people from society to reform them?

There are many instances recently where a more suitable punishment would have been better, ie large fines, or community service, etc.

For example...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...,00.html?f=dta

Or the ongoing Paris Hilton fiasco.

I agree these people need punishment, but surely they dont deserve to be locked away from society for reform purposes? Its no wonder the prisons are over crowded.

Is it just me that thinks this way, or am I wrong?

Steve

Way too much free time Decade Plus User Retromotorsport's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Re: Sending People to Prison

A fine.. pah pay that easy, time.. thats a punishment.

Overcrowding .. bring back the death penalty for the people who murder, and rape , and fiddle with kids.
    With the last 2 gone that would open up a whole wing in most prisons then pricks who think its funny to steal someones car can be locked up for 5 years a car.. oooh some 16 year olds would never see the outside world again.. ahh but then we are back to overcrowding .. ok 3 car thefts and ya dead too .. bet they only get caught once, 5 years inside, would you steal another car? and if ya did, would you steal another, knowing your dead the moment your caught and put on trial.

And before anyone says you cant kill someone for stealing a car ...............................................

" IF YOU CANT DO THE TIME, DONT DO THE CRIME "

Simple really isnt it

Am i barbaric ?
    maybe
    but i havnt raped a woman and stolen all her self respect and ruined her life
    I havnt taken an innocent child and ruined their outlook for ever

the are the barbaric ones, and should be dead.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User jpblue's Avatar
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Sending People to Prison

Gary,
    How do you read my mind, Im sure you are, go on get
    out-a-there.
    Justin P

Thanks

I agree with Gary and don't think it is barbaric - is somebody is murdered/raped or other hideous crimes then this runs not only the victims life but also alot of times they're partners,kids and family as there is all the pain,stress and torment involved. The death penalty should be brought back - if someone can decide to take another persons life then they do not deserve to live. Sorry if this seems harsh but its true - my grandads first wife was murdered and after some bullshit plea/case the guy got off due to some kind of mental problem ??
    i also think that we should not be crowding our jails with immigrants - might be a touchy subject but if people come to live in our country and then commit crimes that warrant a jail sentence surely they are not contributing to our society and should be deported??

************** Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omj624p View Post
    Is it just me that thinks this way, or am I wrong?
    I think you're wrong.

Keogh leaked an "extremely sensitive" memo detailing talks on Iraq between the US leader and Tony Blair.
    The Judge Mr Justice Aikens said Keogh's "reckless and irresponsible" actions could have cost British lives.

There has to be a deterrant, and he knew the risks

Thanks

Murder/rape/kiddy fiddling/mugging oap's should all equal death simple as! There is absolutly no excuse for it in our so called civilised society. Obviousley this could only happen when the accused is proved guilty 110% without a shadow of a doubt and in todays magical sceince this should not be to hard.

As for the scum from other countries that see us as easy tagets because we are a society where evil is not as much a part of everyday life as their own country and indeed our homgrown scum, the thieves, dealers, burgulars and other misfits should be given hard manual labour, chain gangs maybe, and none of this get 12 months so be out in 4, you get 12 months you stay without your freedom for 12 whole months, no time off for good behaviour as you should behave anyway, if you don't , every time you are a knob you get 3 months tagged on, sound a bit more of a sensible idea don't it.

Another thought, maybe if the sentaces and jail time were an actual detterent and you did the time you got given, maybe you would be a bit more reluctant to go back, hence the overcrowding issues sorting themselves out

It all seems like common sense to me, so whay can't the leaders of this country who we pay a hell of a lot of money to sort it out?
    The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty..........

Thanks

Woah, you're missing the point here.

I agree with what everyone is saying above, but for petty rubbish people should not be sent to prison.

This country seems to be too hard on people who dont deserve to be treated harshly, and much too soft on the people who do deserve it.

My Race Car
    Thanks

I think we need more men and women like this guy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User Tone's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

there has to be a deterant thats why we have the crime we have most of the little shits get away with it and don't learn by it

Nickiy Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

While locking this guy up may not have been right(its not like he sold the papers to the press)the point is you can walk away from killing someone in a hit and run with the same length of sentence or less.You will get more compensation from the courts for deformation of character or unfair dismissal in the workplace than you would get from the criminal injuries board for losing a leg when you get hit by an uninsured driver.I dont think anyone would be complaining about him being locked up if we wern't being told that muggers.burglars and car thieves were being let off of jail sentences because the prisons are full..
    ................If it has tyres or testicles - its trouble

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    there has to be a deterant thats why we have the crime we have most of the little shits get away with it and don't learn by it
    Exactly my point - these 'little shits' are a menace to society but they get off scott free. These people should be the ones sitting in prison.

Someone who flouts the law but isnt hurting anyone - should these people really be behind bars?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User jpblue's Avatar
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

However, what we do with those who venture outside the bounds of what is acceptable by the community is almost academic compared to the reasons why they do it. What is it about our community that breeds these people, that causes people to turn to crime? As a community what are we doing wrong?
    Justin p

World Champion Decade Plus User Scouse's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

And then what happens when you put someone to death for murder and a few years down the line new evidence appears and they are found "not guilty"?

Opps, sorry, they are already dead!

Think about it, if it was one of your family members that got put to death, but pleaded all the way through the trial that they were innocent? Too late then.

Scouse.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Retromotorsport View Post
    I think we need more men and women like this guy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
    Bloody hell , i wouldn't want to cross the law anywhere where someone like him was in charge.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    My Race Car
    Thanks

i agree with gary.bring back the death penalty for murder,rape and fiddling with kids.im sure a lot of them would then soon think twice about doing it.
    tommy 2000

Thanks

I read a report in the Sun yesterday about a lad who killed another man with his mates. Because he grassed them all up but admitted he was the main person he got .....8 years!

It does seem if you mug, rob of the general public, fiddle with kids you are above the law and are entitled to all that goes with that, legal aid ect.., if you owe the goverment 10p you may go to prison, if you speed you will be fined.

On anothe point I also read about the taxi driver who took a girl home who was drunk and for 2 years she claimed he rapped her before finally admiting she made it up, he lost his house, wife friends and his job and was named and shamed in the press, her name cannot be reveald...why?
    I am no perv.....................
    Just checking my eyes work!

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

So how many times should Paris Hilton be allowed to drink drive before killing someone?
    She should be locked up perhaps that'll get the message through to the thick bitch.
    On a more serious note : i wouldnt mind being a fly on the wall in her prison showers!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PERKY555 View Post
    So how many times should Paris Hilton be allowed to drink drive before killing someone?
    She should be locked up perhaps that'll get the message through to the thick bitch.
    On a more serious note : i wouldnt mind being a fly on the wall in her prison showers!

She should be fined, and I dont mean a £100 slap on the rist, but something that suits her bank balance. Maybe a million or two? Thats got to help fund something instead of wasting money keeping her fed in a cell.

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

She wasnt drunk this time was she? i thought its because the dopey bitch was driving on a suspended license and so to make sure she didnt stand out she forgot to turn her lights on at night, which is why she was tugged

Also gary sounds like we need that bloke as pm here, it sounds very scary indeed but unless you do something wrong your not gonna ever have to put up with his conditions of punishment! I personally liked the bit about the heat in the tent community:

During the summer of 2003, when outside temperatures exceeded 110 degrees Fahrenheit (higher than average, even for scorching hot Phoenix) Arpaio said to complaining inmates, "It's 120 degrees in Iraq and our soldiers are living in tents too, and they have to wear full battle gear, but they didn't commit any crimes, so shut your mouths!"

My Race Car
    Thanks

DAve thats my point exactly ... last night got home, the mrs is watching ER.. and near the end some doc is talking to a bloke who's been inside, hes complaing that " the food is crap, they tell you when to piss, when to crap and lockyou in ya cell most of the day"

FFS its prison.. not a holiday camp, you should loose your civil rights when you stop being civilised .

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Some years ago my father disturbed two gypsies who were trying to steal a caravan from his property, instead of running they chose to have a go, unfortunately the old man being a ex para stood his ground, the only weapon he had available was a garden fork, he speared the first one in the stomach and the second in the leg.
    Eventually the whole thing ended up in court and the judge suggested that it would have been better for him to have retreated and called the police.

Iam sorry sir the old man said to the judge, my army training came over me (only discharged a couple of years before) they never trained us to retreat, so I did what my training taught me but I did restrain myself - in the forces I would have killed them.

His old commanding officer also came to court as a character witness and said that in the circumstances the old mans use of force was restrained and that he had only used reasonable force.

The old man was found not guilty of actual bodily harm, the case was widely reported in the press at the time, the cops were pretty chuffed too, they didnt want him prosecuted in the first place

RNZAF Base Whenuapai, Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks

vote this party...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFlNyqeeifA
    conservatives understand these problems...

punishments for young criminals... this party feels that we're being just a little to soft on these... BASTARDS

classic
    Last edited by Mk1Sport; 14-05-2007 at 03:32.

Offerings to the God of Speed

Racer Decade Plus User Graham_S1's Avatar

Thanks

Wrong example to use in this thread. Although the right example if you want to show people being sacrificed to protect others.

This memo leak could have landed Bush and Blair in jail. This was over Bush wanting to bomb al-jezeera tv station. So why have these two been jailed over something that was already public knowledge?

I hate Government D-Notices.

+ Reply to Thread