User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two/double/twin Reinz head gaskets on Pinto

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Two/double/twin Reinz head gaskets on Pinto

As this is my first post, I respectfully greet everyone on this forum, especially those, from whom posts i figured out so many things I overthought my head with.

My question is - is it allowable to use two composite head gaskets (e.g. Reinz type for Pinto) on top of each other?

The situation is: as i'm trying to rebuild a 1.8 sierra' pinto in Russia, it seems not possible for me to source replacement (oversize) piston & rings without going bankrupt.
    I found out, not because I wanted to, that toyota JZ' conrods (which are in ok used condition very easy to source here) have exactly the same requirements to crank pin' dimensions (~ф51,98, width ~25,8). And the choice I had to face: to use 1JZ or 2JZ rods: the latter having 142 mm length and the other around 2 mm shorter than Pinto original'. Calculating requirements on piston for using the 142 mm rod, the needed piston comp height is around 27 mm. After bit of searching, there is actually quite easily sourcable new Ford Duratec HE 2.0 pistons w/ nice mahle ring set, having ф87,5 std (measured at cylinder) and 28,5 mm comp height. The problem is, that piston will protrude the block deck at at least 1.6 mm. But, if i was able to use 2 Reinz gaskets (1.3 mm thick each), the head to piston clearance will go to sweet ~1 mm. My biggest concern about doing this, is lack of cooling the gasket' fire rings compared to increased heat input by combustion (input heat area doubled, contact cooling area same), leading to possible composite outer layer failure. Dont want to skim the piston top as the first land height is already only 4.5 mm (scared of cooking first ring frequently)!!!!!

What are the alternatives for double head gasket here and how reliable will it be? (I heard of thick cometic gaskets, but you cant have it here for any rational price)
    thought of milling head to have a sort of socket for piston top... seems as most durable solution

planning to street using engine with possibility of (out of interest) flooring it for a several minutes straight at highways. The cam is STD (cant go and buy them here not STD), bike itbs on intake w/ inner ф40 runners, custom 4-2-1 500-400 header and exhaust side ported efi head. ms2 management. Using oil jets in mains and modine style (as on YB) oil heat exchanger.

Will appreciate any help. Apologize for language mistakes

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Two/double/twin Reinz head gaskets on Pinto

Wouldn't use 2 gaskets, you are better off finding out if you can skim the top of the pistons.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,477 Times in 2,251 Posts

Its a bad idea, the gaskets will not last, gaskets have to dispate heat through to the block/head this cannot happen where the two gaskets meet, head gasket life will be very short.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

0.5 - 0.6mm piston out of block should be ok with a single thicker gasket and you don't go mad with the rpm, so that leaves 1.0mm off the piston crown which should be do-able - not ideal if ring land is that tight but do-able. A 1mm spacer plate between block and gasket might work and if aluminium, it should allow good heat transfer without excessive edge heat erosion?

Thanks

You could skim the block and run two gaskets with and alloy spacer between, it'd help gasket life, but not sure by how much

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lowscorts View Post
    You could skim the block and run two gaskets with and alloy spacer between, it'd help gasket life, but not sure by how much
    bad idea, the alloy spacer would nopt be able to dispate heat and will burn away, this is why a decompression plate is used with a single gasket

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I'm glad to read so many replies, thank you for sharing your opinion. Now I certainly would not even think of using two gaskets. The decompression plate is an interesting way, going to give it a try. Thinking of making a copper one.

I feel proud of receiving Graham' reply, as I highly rely on advices from Penguin Motors videos about building Pinto engines.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    bad idea, the alloy spacer would nopt be able to dispate heat and will burn away, this is why a decompression plate is used with a single gasket
    Whilst I've never sued one, I'd only ever heard of these being used with two gaskets. Steel spacer plate between the two gaskets. Block=gasket=spacer=gasket=head.

If you're using a spacer plate and only one gasket....the spacer is sealed how ? it'd hardly run direct to head or block without any form of sealing ?

But as others have said, easiest way is to remove a little from the top of the piston if needed.

Is it a turbo or n/a application ?
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
    Whilst I've never sued one, I'd only ever heard of these being used with two gaskets. Steel spacer plate between the two gaskets. Block=gasket=spacer=gasket=head.

If you're using a spacer plate and only one gasket....the spacer is sealed how ? it'd hardly run direct to head or block without any form of sealing ?
    providing the decompression plate isnt excessily thick, the pressure from the fire ring pressing on the plate will make it seal still. this information comes to me from more than one source.

heres what Mike Tansky says on the subject, mike used to make me one off head gaskets for all sorts of high powered stuff in the days before you could get a cometic gasket for almost anything http://www.ferriday.co.uk/decompression-plates/

+ Reply to Thread