User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with setting up diff in Atlas axle

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Help with setting up diff in Atlas axle

Hi all, firstly it's great to find a forum with lots of useful advice.

I am in the middle of setting up my Ford Atlas axle from a Cortina Mk3 2.0. I have changed the ring gear and pinion from a 3:44 ratio to a 3:09 ratio and bought a blackline lsd to replace the open diff.

I have fitted the original 1.2mm shim from the 3:09 pinion with new bearings. I have fitted the new bearing races to the axle casing for the pinion. The first problem I have come up against is I have put the pinion gear in place without the outer bearing, slid the lsd in place with the 3:09 ring gear but with no shims for now and when I bolt the bearing clamps down just hand tight the pinion gear binds up with the ring gear suggesting that the pinion shim is too large.

Before I remove the pinion bearing and replace the shim for a smaller one, does this sound normal that the original shim should be that far out bearing in mind without shims behind the bearing on the diff casing it is positioned right over to the crown wheel side which in theory should give max clearance between the crown wheel and pinion gear?

Thanks Stu

World Champion Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Help with setting up diff in Atlas axle

Quote Originally Posted by stuwindsurf View Post
    Hi all, firstly it's great to find a forum with lots of useful advice.

I am in the middle of setting up my Ford Atlas axle from a Cortina Mk3 2.0. I have changed the ring gear and pinion from a 3:44 ratio to a 3:09 ratio and bought a blackline lsd to replace the open diff.

I have fitted the original 1.2mm shim from the 3:09 pinion with new bearings. I have fitted the new bearing races to the axle casing for the pinion. The first problem I have come up against is I have put the pinion gear in place without the outer bearing, slid the lsd in place with the 3:09 ring gear but with no shims for now and when I bolt the bearing clamps down just hand tight the pinion gear binds up with the ring gear suggesting that the pinion shim is too large.

Before I remove the pinion bearing and replace the shim for a smaller one, does this sound normal that the original shim should be that far out bearing in mind without shims behind the bearing on the diff casing it is positioned right over to the crown wheel side which in theory should give max clearance between the crown wheel and pinion gear?

Thanks Stu
    Look up andy whitehouse on fb. Arrow engineering. Helpfull chap that does post on here but like most it’s not often these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread